Your Sports Injury Doctor in the Greater Chicago Area
Dr. Mark Yaffe provides outstanding care to patients and athletes with upper extremity sports injuries. As a Co-Team Physician for several of the surrounding high school football teams, he understands that the key to helping athletes safely and expeditiously return to sport is to provide comprehensive care for sports related injuries.
By using cutting-edge technology and proven treatments, Dr. Yaffe strives to offer every patient individualized care so they can get back in the game as soon as possible. With his extensive experience, he is committed to helping each patient achieve their athletic goals of maximized performance with an expeditious recovery process. Dr. Yaffe believes in setting realistic expectations and working with each patient through their rehabilitation process, so they can have the best outcome possible.
If you’re ready to get back in the game with the top orthopedic doctor Bartlett has to offer, schedule your first appointment with Dr. Yaffe today. We look forward to helping you get started on the road to recovery
Sports Medicine Prevention & Treatment Options
Sports Injury Treatment for Shoulder, Wrist, Hand & Elbow
At Dr. Yaffe’s practice, he uses the latest technology and techniques to provide minimally-invasive and non-invasive care for sports injuries of the hands, wrists, elbows, and shoulders.
As a premier upper extremity sports medicine physician, he is highly skilled in treating common and complex conditions, including:
- Fractures: Dr. Yaffe specializes in treating fractures of the wrist, hand, and elbow. He can diagnose and treat injuries to the bones, joints, muscles, and ligaments.
- Tendonitis: Tendonitis is an inflammation of the tendons that can cause pain around the joint or on the surface of the body. Dr. Yaffe can provide treatment for tendonitis of the shoulders, wrists, hands, and elbows.
- Nerve compression: Nerve compression can cause pain and numbness in the affected area. Dr. Yaffe is experienced in diagnosing and treating nerve compression of the hands, wrists, elbows, and shoulders.
- Tendon tears: A tendon tear can be a serious injury and may require surgery. Dr. Yaffe is experienced in diagnosing and treating various types of tendon tears, including rotator cuff tears, biceps tears, ulnar nerve tears, and more.
- Joint inflammation: Joint inflammation, such as arthritis, can cause pain and stiffness. Dr. Yaffe has experience in treating various forms of joint inflammation, including rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.
- Instability of joints: Joint instability can cause pain, weakness, and limitation of movement. Dr. Yaffe has expertise in diagnosing and treating joint instability of the hands, wrists, elbows, and shoulders.
- Joint dislocation or subluxation: A dislocation or subluxation can be extremely painful and cause significant limitation of movement. Dr. Yaffe has experience in reducing the dislocation and providing treatments to help stabilize the joint and relieve discomfort.
Dr. Yaffe is also well-versed in providing treatments such as arthroscopy and arthroplasty, joint replacement surgeries, bracing and orthotics, medications for pain relief and anti-inflammatories, injections and repair of various soft tissue ligaments. He is committed to helping his patients return to their lifestyle as quickly as possible by using minimally–invasive hand surgery and successful rehabilitation protocols.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will I need a cast following my treatment with Dr. Yaffe?
Whenever appropriate, Dr. Yaffe utilizes removable fracture braces, which provide comparable levels of support and protection to a cast, but allow for safe removal for bathing and hygiene. Dr. Yaffe has access to all forms of bracing and splints, including custom splints fabricated by certified hand therapists. He will discuss the most appropriate form of treatment and protection for your individual situation at your appointment.
Can Dr. Yaffe help me with prevention of sports injuries after my treatment?
Yes! Dr. Yaffe believes that prevention is the best medicine and offers a variety of techniques to prevent further sports injuries from occurring. He can help provide you with home exercise, stretching and strengthening strategies for many of the most common conditions based on your activity level, age and individual goals that can help reduce the risk of a future injury.
Depending on your needs, he may also suggest using protective gear such as wrist guards or padding for a certain sport. He may also recommend stretching and strengthening exercises to help improve your balance and stability, as well as proper technique in order to minimize the risk of injury.
Dr. Yaffe will discuss all of these preventative options during your appointment so that you can determine what is best for you!
Does your orthopedic surgeon near me accept insurance?
Yes. Dr. Yaffe accepts insurance, and in many cases, sports medicine is covered by health insurance. However, it is important to check with your insurance provider first to determine exactly which services are covered and what your deductible or co-pay may be.
How can I get started with the best sports injury doctor near me?
At Dr. Yaffe’s practice, we want it to be as easy as possible to get started on your road to recovery. Just use our simple online appointment request tool.